Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I hope your ok. Every time I try to sleep I wake up after

Hi. I hope your ok. Every time I try to sleep I wake up after about 10 minutes unable to breath or swallow with a rapid heartbeat and a tingling sensation below my belly button. I’m just wondering if you know what this could be please?
Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Gupta and I can help you today. I'll be back in a moment with my reply!
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you Dr Gupta.

I am sorry to hear that,

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a sleep-related breathing disorder that causes total or partial pauses in breathing during sleep. OSA develops when the airways collapse and become obstructed. People with OSA may snore loudly or wake up choking or gasping for breath.

Many conditions that cause nighttime gasping for breath can be treated by improving sleep habits. However, if you regularly wake up gasping for air, or if you notice other symptoms, make an appointment with your doctor. They can look for underlying conditions and help you work out a treatment plan.

The following tips can help to reduce anxiety-related gasping and decrease stress overall:

• get enough sleep
  • go to bed and wake up at the same times each day
  • consume caffeine only in the morning
  • before going to sleep, do something relaxing, such as meditation, breathing exercises, or reading.
I would recommend getting a medical specialist to have a look to rule out OSA,

A sleep study may be needed to confirm this as well,

Warm regards

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks so much Dr Gupta. Yes I suffer from severe anxiety so this is probably correct. Take care Dr Gupta and thank you again for all your help.

:)

I am glad to be able to help out. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know.
If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.
It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site.
Warm regards

A BONUS tip :)

I generally suggest the system of 3-2-1 for improving mental health "Learn to Connect Well"

This means

Do 3 things well - Eat well (Healthy diet with fruits and veggies

Sleep well - min 8 hours (I know this is the problem here)

Exercise well - At least 150 min per week of moderate exercise

then connect to 2 things

Connect with Friends & Family - try video call and physical meetings outdoors

Connect with Nature - grow a plant, go for a walk in nearby wilderness, Meditate

and finally, Learn 1 thing new

At least learn one new skill - whether its a new language, or cooking or something that you always wanted to do.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,
Warm regards & stay safe