Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

My son, 17 years old, is complaining of his scalp, lots of

My son, 17 years old, is complaining of his scalp, lots of dandruff but in big chunks, also is scalp is wet, we thought it could be pus but its probably excess of sebum. At the same time some brown spots appeared on his neck, a few days later this spot were going down on his body, especially on hairy body parts. He has tried a specific shampoo prescribed by our doctor, but the day after washing his hair, the chunks of dandruff were there again. We are quite worried, can you help
JA: When did dandruff first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: it first appeared over a year ago, but at the moment is uncontrollable, and with the addiction of brown spots
JA: Got it. When was your last visit to a dermatologist?
Customer: Cant remember
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: Not really
Hi. Dr Hayat here.  Welcome to JA

Do you mind sending me a picture plz

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I m looking for the pic on my phone thanks

Sure

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (LV426SZ)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Did you received them?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello Dr Hayat, are you still there?

Yes. That's seborrhoeic dermatitis.  Do the following:

1. Canestine cream daily at night all over the scalp and affected area.

2. Wash it in the morning daily with nizarole shampoo

3. And apply hydrocortisone ointment all over the scalp and effected areas. Use this for two weeks.

Use the first 2 for 60 days. They arevover the counter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Should we be worried? Can this condition reverse or will he have problems in the future. Do you know what is it caused by? Thanks

It is reversible but can keep occurring..

Seborrheic (seb-o-REE-ik) dermatitis is a common skin condition that mainly affects your scalp. It causes scaly patches, red skin and stubborn dandruff. Seborrheic dermatitis can also affect oily areas of the body, such as the face, sides of the nose, eyebrows, ears, eyelids and chest.

Please let me know the response in a weeks time

Anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you ! You were a great help. We will follow your instructions
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also were do you operate? DO you have a private studio?
Iam based in Birmingham . Work online mostly
Best wishes.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries or need to follow up. I will be happy to help and guide. Have a nice day.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very very much!!!!

Pleasure

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good morning Dr Hayat Could you clarify something for me please. I did apply canestine on his scalp. chest and neck last night.. I will help him with washing his hair with the specific shampoo, what should he wash the cream from chest and neck? Just water? Also after the shampoo could he use conditioner, or any other product for his hair? Thank you very much, Elisabetta Andrews
He can use the shampoo on his body too. 

Yes can use conditioner.

Apply the shampoo and Leave it there for 5 minutes before you wash