How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gupta Your Own Question
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11875
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Gupta is online now

I'm a 23 year old male, student in general medicine,

This answer was rated:

I'm a 23 year old male, student in general medicine, diagnosed with ADHD and currently taking Concerta . Problem is, the country I come from neglects ADHD and only has concerta and an SNRI approved for ADHD patients. Concerta works fine, however Im presenting side effects, mainly GI related.
I had the opportunity thanks to my psychiatrist, who currently has a swedish ADHD patient for me to try their ADHD med, which was Elvanse. This certain medication, and really, any other ADHD approved medication is NOT available in oir country. So, he recommended me to reach out to countries that do and see if it's possible to fly in, maybe get diagnosed if needed and get a new prescription.
I'm currently struggling with my studies and could use every help available. As stated before, I have a diagnosis, with the medicine I have been taking - so I'm wondering if that would be enough to present to a psychiatrist in the UK and would they take me in as a foreigner?
I know private clinics in the Netherlands offer this, however, they MUST perform their own diagnosis first then give the prescription, and honestly those prices are sadly out of my reach at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've talked to a psychiatrist in Belfast and he recommended me to try London.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (45TZLM7)
Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Gupta and I can help you today. I'll be back in a moment with my reply!

I do not think it would easy or cheap in UK either, to get a prescription for ADHD,

You would either need to go through a GP and get a Psychiatrist referral in the NHS, which will be time consuming,

If you want to avoid the NHS & get an offline consultation, I would recommend getting an appointment at the closest Nuffield hospital, they are a highly rated private hospital chain in UK,
Find out one closest to you here
Warm regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi! Thank you for your quick reply

You are welcome,

I hope it helps :)


Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think there's any chance a psychiatrist would skip the diagnosis step by me having the paper I attached? Or is that completely useless. That way, I could at least cut down the diagnosis part and just ask for a change in medicine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The paper only shows my diagnosis and the current medicine I'm taking
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or should I just check with the private clinic you linked? If so, how would I formulate what I want. Thank you kindly for your time <3

Unfortunately, Methylphenidate is a medicine that is controlled and the psychiatrist would be responsible for anything that happens to you, hence they would need to make an independent diagnosis, wherever you go,

Warm regards

I may need to step away from the computer for the next few hours. If you reply while I am away, I will answer your question as soon as I return. Thank you so much for your patience!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! Ive sent them an email

All the best :)

I am glad to be able to help out. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know.
If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.
It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site.
Warm regards

Dr. Gupta and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you