Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

Please, problem we have with our 1 and half year old

please, problem we have with our 1 and half year old daughter is- caughing a lot, breathing like barking sound, and she started vomiting yesterday. We went to family doctor yesterday and he has listened to her lungs and said everything is ok, usualy babies will have temperature first if it is something serious..but this seems pretty serious..when she is lying abd sleeping, che can barely breathe..
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: Cough 3 days, today is fourth
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask if there is any phlegm/mucus with the cough, breathlessness, wheeze, signs of pain anywhere, fever, rash, diarrhoea, etc? 

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Nothing except this barking sound while breathing and during the night she starts to cough for 5,6,7 times, like she is choking
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Alo she vomited yesterday once and today once
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also*
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Problem is this family doctor of ours, she is Pediatrist and she went on holiday, now we have replacement doctor who is just doctor basic..now i am wondering do you think this is not serious and we can wait for it to get better or is it better to go to private clinoc, pay some money and know for sure?

If she has a barking cough, this is most likely due to croup which is a viral throat infection in babies and small children. This is usually a benign condition and babies/children recover well. They don't normally need antibiotics because it is a viral infection.

You can give her saline drops if her nose is blocked and she is congested. You can try steaming (giving her a warm bath) and this can help her cough.

However, if her breathing is quite bad and she is struggling, moving her chest or abdomen a lot or doesn't look well, you should see her doctor or take her to hospital.

If she looks well other than this barking sound and she is not struggling with her breathing, you can monitor her and wait for now.