Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I am 10 weeks pregnant and have been taking Sudafed nasal

I am 10 weeks pregnant and have been taking Sudafed nasal spray every night, but have just seen on the doctor it says to consult a doctor if pregnant. Could this be harmful to the baby?
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JustAnswer.
Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

I understand your concern. The active ingredient, xylometazoline acts locally on the blood vessels and doesn't enter the blood in any significant amounts. The use is not recommended since we don't have enough safety information as of now. There is no evidence of harm to the baby or mother's during pregnancy but it would be prudent to restrict its use as much as possible during pregnancy.

Please let me know if you have other, related queries. I will be happy to answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will stop using it now then. Thank you. Is there anything safe you can recommend to use instead to help an unblocked nose and hayfever?

Steroid nasal sprays like Flonase may be used alongwith a safe anti histamine like Loratidine, on and off, instead of Sudafed.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do I need a prescription for Flonase as I am struggling to find this online?

You don't need a prescription for that. You may get that from a pharmacy as well.