Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, Doctor
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 yr experience: primary care, OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have been experiencing indigestion symptoms and burning in

Customer Question

Hi, I have been experiencing indigestion symptoms and burning in my stomach/upper back since around 12.30pm today. This has been accompanied with nausea and jaw/throat pain which nexium and paracetamol did nothing to subside. These symptoms have now eased off but I am experiencing mild pain in my left arm and tingling
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: Experiencing nausea
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

A few questions to clarify some information:

1. For how long have you been experiencing these symptoms?
    1. During that time have the symptoms remained pretty much the same in terms of intensity & frequency? If not , briefly describe how your symptoms have changed?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
1. Since around 12.30pm Saturday 30th, arm discomfort has been ongoing for around 1 hour. 2. Up until 1 hour ago initial symptoms remained the same, these have now eased off just leaving left arm discomfort
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would prefer to stay on message for now as I am sharing an apartment with others who are asleep
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

A few more questions:

2. How old are you?

3. Are you a male or female?

4. Do you have any history of hypertension?

5. Are you overweight? Obese?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am 28, female, no history of hypertension but I am overweight
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello, are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

Please be patient.  I will get to your answers, but given the delay in the transmission & internet speed, I can only wait until I see your response.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

1. By how many pounds are you overweight?
    2. Has this increase been recent or have you been overweight for some time?
    3. Do you exercise regularly? Did your symptoms occur after exercising?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
1. About 70lbs. 2. Overweight for some time. 3. Exercise semi regularly, symptoms occured after steady walking
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

1. When the symptoms started were you exercising? If not, when was the last time you exercised prior to the onset of your symptoms?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No it was after food, last time exercised prior to onset was day before, again steady walking
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

1. On a regular day, how many cups/ounces of water do you drink per day?
    2. And how much of any caffeinated product?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
1. 4-5 cups, 2. 1 or 2 cups of breakfast tea
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your answers

Given your age and weight condition, along with your symptoms, it appears you may be experiencing chest pain associated with angina. Angina occurs when the blood vessels of the heart are not getting enough oxygen. This is a concerning condition and needs to be evaluated with diagnostic testing such as a echocardiography or cardiac angiography.

You should contact your physician and notify her/him of your symptoms. A cardiology referral is indicated.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. Is this non urgent? I.e. can wait until tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

How do you feel now? Can you take your blood pressure? if so what is it now? And what is your blood pressure normally?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Other than arm discomfort/tingling and mild back pain I am feeling much better. I can't take my blood pressure right now unfortunately and can't remember what it is normally but have not been advised it is abnormal previously
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

A few recommendations:

1. It appears you are not drinking sufficient water, given your tea intake. For each cup o caffeine you should drink 2 cups of water to counter the dehydrating effects of caffein
    2. You symptoms are concerning. Since they have currently resolved, and your are not experiencing any pain, your could wait until the morning if a family member/friend is able to drive you at that time or if  that would be more convenient. But I recommend you be seen within the next 4-8 hours so test can be done to see what your cardiac enzyme levels are. If you are able to have someone drive you that would be best.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, I will make sure I get looked at as soon as possible. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

If you are not able to see your provider tonight, then get plenty of rest, avoid caffeine,. Play soft calming music, and get some rest.

Do not go to work in the Am, call your provider (th answering service should be able to connect you to your personal physician.

Let me know if any of the above recommendations are unclear.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They are clear, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for letting me know. Take care. 

I hope I have answered all of your concerns. If not let me know. If I have then please ask for me directly for your next questions, and I will do my best to answer them completely. You will have that option on your “My Questions” page.

Have a wonderful rest of your week. Again my name is*****

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Dr Kala
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 15 days ago.

You are most welcomed. Take care.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 12 days ago.

hope I have answered all of your concerns. If not let me know. If I have then please ask for me directly for your next questions, and I will do my best to answer them completely. You will have that option on your “My Questions” page.