Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Diploma clinical Neurology
111828307

I arrived in London on Fria, I arrived in London on Friday

Customer Question

I arrived in London on Fria
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: I arrived in London on Friday afternoon and took a Covid quick test around 5 PM, which came out positive. I’ve had a very runny nose, chills a couple of times, coughing, and this morning a sore throat. I’m at high risk - I am 68 and diabetic, and I have high blood pressure. My health care provider in the US says I’m eligible for Paxlovid. Would you recommend Paxlovid, is it available in the UK, and can you give me a prescription for it?
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you used anything else for this?
Customer: Just Paracetamol.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I control my blood glucose with 2 gm Metformin and pioglitazone and a very low carb diet. I’m a bit concerned that lactose in Paxlovid would raise my blood glucose to a high level.
Expert:  Dr.Shakeel Ansari replied 10 days ago.
Hi, this is Dr Ansari, welcome to JA

Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir tablets co-packaged with ritonavir tablets) has an Emergency Use Authorisation to treat mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adults and children who have had a positive SARS-CoV-2 viral test and are at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19. This is available in the UK but you must visit a COVID-19 centre and follow the regulations and rules for the prescription to you in the UK.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

You are most welcome.