Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I’m not feeling too well, for the last few days I have been

Customer Question

I’m not feeling too well, for the last few days I have been feeling like I’ m about to fall over when I stand up.I am type 2 diabetic I am scared It might lead to a stroke and I am panicking , can you help me I am 82 yrs old female.
JA: Have you used any medication for diabetes?
Customer: Metformin
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about diabetes?
Customer: Not recently
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am on medication for blood pressure and cholesterol, pain relief for back pain and arthritis of the knee
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 days ago.

This sounds like a viral infection. Mild viral infections may not bring about fever but causes aches and chills, and a general feeling of ill health and weakness.

You may also develop a fever in one or two days.

You can usually treat this at home, it generally subsides in 4-5 days. Give it two more days and if it doesnt subside by the seventh day go to the doctor.

Take the following treatment:

Rest.
Plenty of fluids including Gatorade and fruit juice, this is most important.
Tylenol 500 mg twice or thrice daily for headache and bodyache.
Healthy bland diet, small frequent meals. Have a lot of natural and cooked foods rather than prepared products.
Logenges: such Vicks cough logenges or any hard sweets constantly, this will cause a constant flow of saliva and give you relief.

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve congestion.

However, if the body ache persists for more than 5 days, or you develop a temperature more than 102 degrees F (38.9 degrees C), or you have any other symptoms like severe throat pain or abdominal pain, you will need to see a doctor - these are the signs for which a doctor's checkup is recommended. So measure your temperature daily and follow these steps for now.

Take care - this sounds like a mild viral infection - try general home treatment now - but do go to the doctor if it gets severe or persists more than 5 days.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti