Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I have a strange cough in my throat that feels like ants

Customer Question

I have a strange cough in my throat that feels like ants walking in the cardinal points in my throat its been over one moth I have taken covonia dry throat linctus, phulcodene and still coughing and each time I wet myself..On the job on the bus intransit..Plz help me.Thanks
JA: How long have you had the cough? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: more than one month..I am a band 3 nurse i work private care
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: early this year she did some blood works and water works her advise was B6 to be taken. I am 59 yrs old 11stone my bp is normal currently I am on the job
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: LAst year in January i am allergic to smoke I ended up with a Lung infection I dont smoke just hate it had 3 blackouts unbeknownest to me..
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 17years of experience in the field of Medicine. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

Hello... I understand your concern. I need some more information please.

1. How many days per month do you cough or feel breathless?
  2. How many nights per month does your sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
  3. Do you feel breathless when exerting or exercising?
  4. Are the symptoms aggravated when there are seasonal changes?
  5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?
  6. Does spicy food or heavy meal aggravate your symptoms?
  7. Do you have mouth breathing and snoring at night?
  8. Which is most predominant symptoms - cough / breathlessness / runny nose / blocked nose?
  9. What is your profession please?
Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the shortbreath comes with hustling to catch a bus..etc.
I cough everynight dont get a full 7hours sleep.
THis is my first experience with this strange cough..I have taken allergy pills etc no help.
No to #5
No to #6
#7 no to snoring.
No blocked nose .
No runny nose.
I am a Private Carer
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have had 3 bottles of covonia dry throat linctus
I had 1 bottle Phulcodene.
I purchased Jakemans sweets I get some relief with it..not 2hours..
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hellooo anyone there..I currently wear sanitary pads on account of the coughs
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I like spicy food..especially a curry
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

Hello...thank you for giving me an important information about profession.By what you say I feel that the possibilities are -

1. Mild intermittent asthma as per GINA guidelines and international recommendations and classification. It is classical to present intermittently like this.
  2. Seasonal bronchitis.
  3. Viral Bronchitis.
  4. Extremely rare - but if you have been exposed to mold then we may need to consider allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.

My suggestions for you -
1. Oral Prednisolone at 20mg thrice a day dose for 2 - 3 days.
2. Inhalers are the newest management strategies for this. I suggest the use of Formoterol+Budesonide metered dose inhaler (100mcg) 4 puffs twice a day through a spacer and this is for regular use for 2 weeks and then you can taper down to 3 puffs twice a day for another 2 weeks and then stabilize at 2 puffs twice a day to continue. Another metered dose inhaler is Levosalbutamol / Albuterol and this can used as rescue therapy whenever you are having severe cough in spite of regular usage of Budesonide- Formoterol. The technique is very important and very crucial for the drug to be delivered correctly to the lungs. Regularity of medicine usage also matters a lot. So do not discontinue abruptly after you notice some improvement. The technique of administering an inhaler using a spacer has to be taught to you by your doctor and these are prescription medicines. So I suggest you consult your physician for this.
3. Tablet Monteleukast 10mg once a day in the evening at 6pm daily for 3 months.
4. Triggers can be environmental changes/ dust/ talcum powder/ seasonal changes/ un-cleaned a/c vents/ cold weather etc....we cannot specifically say this is the cause - unless we observe closely - best person is yourself.
5. You will require a spirometry.
6. If these doesn't work then we need to think about a restrictive lung disease as an occupational exposure related issue.

The other possibility is an evolving interstitial lung disease (but extremely unlikely as breathlessness would be the predominant symptom than cough).
I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!
Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I dont have A Flu
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

It is not flu when it is going on for so long.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I dnt have a congested chest
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Or painful chest chest when I cough its just my throat..as if something is living there and runs in a circumference of my throat..
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

But cough is a symptom of lower airways.

Does the cough disturb your sleep?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I currently breathe well
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

Does the cough disturb your sleep?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the throat itches i cough
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

Then it might be post nasal drip.

Have you ever used intra nasal steroids.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I chew 2 clove and its good.. 30 min
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I dont have blocked nose
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No never used nasal sterouds of any kind
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I gargle with mouthwash I may get some ease..until 2 to 3 am..cough begins
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

This may be post nasal drip.

The intra nasal steroids are not used only for blocked nose but also for post nasal drip too.

The choice of steroids can be Mometasone or Fluticasone and they should be taken twice a day into each nostril for a period of 6 to 8 weeks.
These are prescription medications and currently you can take Claritin one tablet once daily till you get a scheduled appointment other with your primary care physician or an allergist.
You can also use - Flonase (Fluticasone) nasal spray.
As a home remedy you can do warm salt water gargling three or four times a day before food.
Avoid moving around in chill weather and excursions of ambient temperature inside the house.
Your physician might also prescribe medication called Montelukast 10 milligrams taken once daily in the evening for a period of 6 to 8 weeks and this particular drug is very good in keeping the allergy under control on prolonged usage.
May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I believe the salt water will give me ease.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
goodbye
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 6 days ago.

I wish you good health.