Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I’ve had a blood test for my hgv licence and it’s come back

Customer Question

I’ve had a blood test for my hgv licence and it’s come back that I’m alcohol dependent witch isn’t true I have the occasional drink. And I’ve also had my car licence revoked. The main thing I would like to know is what is the levels on cdt test that puts you in this catagory?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: I’ve also had aniema would this effect my blood alcohol test?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that’s the main problem thanks
Expert:  Dr Geyik, MBBS replied 11 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask if you have ever had any previous alcohol issues or had any liver problems?

Generally speaking, a level over 60 mg/litre may be consider abnormal and may indicate alcohol dependence.

Having anaemia should not really affect this.

If you believe that the decision is wrong, you can appeal against that and you can speak to your GP for a letter to indicate that you do not have alcohol problems.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No never. I got admitted to hospital when I was young and stupid at 19 but I’m not dependant on alcohol at all

If you have never had any alcohol problems and your blood tests are normal, you can speak to your GP and they could give a letter to confirm this.

I do not know what they based their decision on but you can appeal against it if you believe it is wrong.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would being anemic effect this test in any sort of way?

No, anaemia should not affect this test.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How much is 60mg/litre may I ask
Customer: replied 11 days ago.

That is equivalent to about 3.5-4 pints of beer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
would this mean if I had over 4 pints of beer this would come up as an over the limit test?

No, if you just have this once or twice, that won't be a problem; but if you have 60 mg/L of alcohol in your bloodstream all the time, this could suggest alcohol dependence.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
what sort of Intake would I have to have that in my blood stream all the time? Like how many pints a day/week

So, if you drink 3-4 units of alcohol every day all the time, this can cause issues because the recommended limit for men (and women) is 14 units a week. Anything above 14 units is not advisable.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I never drink that and my liecence has been revoked as they are going off something that happend 6 years ago. There’s no way I have that amount of alcohol in my system. What would be your best advice?

I suggest you contact your GP to discuss this with them as they might be able to give you a letter to confirm that you have never had any alcohol dependence. They can also arrange a blood test to show you have no chronic alcohol issues.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for you time sir

You are most welcome.