Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Medical question relating to peri-menopause/ menopause

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 days ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

What exactly do you want to ask?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi I am 47 and for the last couple of years my periods have got lighter and then started fluctuating between one month on and then one month skip a period. They have always been fairly unpredictable anyway after an ectopic pregnancy when I was 21 and had my tube removed.For the last nearly 12 months I can’t quite remember timescale I have not had a period. Yesterday morning I was suffering with back ache just like I was due on a period.I didn’t think too much about it as haven’t had one for so long and then last night came on, with during the night and today quite heavy…I only take the vaginal oestrogen tablet, for dryness but was just surprised at having a period after so long…. Is this normal at this time of life?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 days ago.

Yes, you are in the perimenopause period and it is normal to have fluctuations and periods after a long break as hormones go quite fluctuations around such time so just monitor for now.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you. I will be happy to help you if you have any other questions in the future. Best wishes. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If I had had a bleed post 12 months even if only just past the 12 months would it be anything to be concerned about? I honestly can’t remember how long it’s been since a period. March 21 I had a smear and had had one then but they had started to be irregular
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 days ago.

Yes, it can be part of normal menopause, if it stops on its own like a period then no worries.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 days ago.

welcome.