Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I was told by a doctor to look into getting help with ADHD

Customer Question

I was told by a doctor to look into getting help with ADHD however the waiting time was years and was wondering how i would go about getting a diagnosis and getting help privately
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I was in a crisis clinic several months ago and they mentioned there was a likelyhood of ADHD but weren’t able to get me seen for it, i’m currently taking sertraline for depression
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: well for as long as i can remember i’ve always struggled with the symptoms of it, no i haven’t i wasn’t completely sure of how to go about it
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just that i’ve had several suicide attempts and i’m fairly sure this comes down to the impulsive side of my personality, the doctors also mentioned about potential BPD but as i had acted this way since a child they were more leaning towards the adhd
Expert:  Dr Geyik, MBBS replied 11 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

I am aware that the waiting times are very long and NHS is completely overwhelmed with workload.

Unfortunately, there are not too many options.

You can ask your GP to expedite your appointment so that you could be seen sooner. You can contact the department and ask for any cancellations.

If you are happy to see a private doctor, you can have a look at Nuffield Hospital which is a good private hospital and they have branches nationwide.

You can also have a look at the following telemedicine site as they do have various services:

https://gogodoc.com/ can issue prescriptions, Fit to Fly Health Certificate, Sick/Doctor’s Note, arrange private referrals, blood tests, face to face appointments, home visits, flu vaccinations, etc.

Unfortunately, ADHD cannot be formally diagnosed online as you would need to see a psychiatrist face to face for full physical assessment and your behaviour needs to be observed as well.