Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

Optician has told my granddaughter she has bulging behind

Optician has told my granddaughter she has bulging behind the eyes what can this mean - worried Grandmother!!
JA: What are all your granddaughter's symptoms? Is she taking any medication?
Customer: Only Paracetamol, she has very high blood pressure!! She feels very unwell, but has managed to work somehow with headaches as well!!
JA: Got it. Has she used anything besides paracetamol for this?
Customer: The hospital told her to take Paracetamol. and so has her own doctor, so she went for an eye test and they told her she had the bulging behind the eyes, could this be a brain tumor?
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She was a very heavy drinker, and previous to that she was addicted to the drug "Coke", but is clean now, her kidneys were affected by the alcohol drinking, but has stopped now!!

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your daughter's age and if she has had any recent trauma or injury?

Does she still have the headaches, pain/redness in her eyes, change in vision, change in speech/face, vomiting, bleeding, dizziness, or other symptoms? 

The bulging behind the eyes could be due to various causes including high blood pressure in the eyes, diabetic changes, trauma, or inflammation. And very rarely due to tumours.

I suggest you contact her GP so that she can be referred to an ophthalmologist for further assessment.

If she lives in London, you can take her to Moorfields Eye Hospital as they have an emergency eye department.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She lives in Burham Rochester Kent - Post code ME1 3SY I will give her this info and thank you most kindly for your professional advice. Mrs Maureen Kenney

You are most welcome and wishing her all the best!