Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I have chronic lower back pain. Tried painkillers nit really

Customer Question

Hi. I have chronic lower back pain. Tried painkillers nit really working and my GP pescribed Diazapam as a muscle relaxant and it's not having any effect
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent trauma. Hot and cold helps bending is excruciating
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Do have a degenerated disc L4-L5 no problems for 30yrs. Someone mentioned spinal stenosis
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 5 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for getting in touch. Could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss? I may take a few minutes to reply as dealing with other patients too, thank you

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My chronic lower back pain

It sounds like your pain relief isn't adequate, what are you taking for it currently?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Please read the above dialogue

Yes I see you mentioned the addition of diazepam wasn't adequate but you didn't specify which painkillers it is you're taking. The reason I'm asking is so that we can consider what options there are for you in terms of pain medication

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Cocodomol. Anadin extra

I see, thank you. I definitely would make sure you're taking the 30/500 (maximum) strength of co-codamol and also use ibuprofen alongside the ibuprofen gel applied locally. If this proves inadequate then your GP ought to give you something stronger such as a patch that releases a small amount of morphine based pain relief into the body per hour such as Butrans for example. If you've noticed a significant deterioration as well then it would be worth asking your GP to examine you and also to consider repeat imaging such as an MRI scan to make sure this isn't something like a small fracture line in one of the spinal bones or indeed a degree of nerve pinching there which can also often occur.