How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask the-good-doctor Your Own Question
the-good-doctor, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 80267
Experience:  Medical Doctor
Type Your Medical Question Here...
the-good-doctor is online now

I have small painful bumps on the inside of my foreskin.

Customer Question

I have small painful bumps on the inside of my foreskin. This problem reoccurrs but usually disappears. The first outbreak was around 8 months ago. It was already healing by the time I got to an STI clinic. The dotors there were uncertain. Since the first outbreak it has returned twice.
JA: Have you used any medication for the bumps?
Customer: I tried anti septic cream the 2nd time but it made no difference.
JA: Got it. What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?
Customer: Well firstly. I am not HIV positve, I have been tested. The doctors thought it could possibly be genital warts or genital herpes. But it had healed too much to test. I was told to call again immediately if it came back which I did today but the nearest appointment I could get was nearly a week from today. I just want an idea as to what it could be
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not at all.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Phil and have over 10 years of experience as a licensed medical doctor.

I am happy to assist you with this question.
I will be responding shortly.

Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for this question and for the opportunity to help.

Do you happen to have a picture of what they look like?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No sorry
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am on benefits, I can't afford to call
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

If it is a bad problem it is herpes.

That is really the only thing that would be painful.

It could also just be irritation or fordyce spots though.

Those are totally normal and can get irritated.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There are two raised bumps (approx 3mm), sensitive to the touch. I have no discomfort when urrinating. There are no other symptons. It usually clears up on it's own within 7-10 days.
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

that could just be folliculitis.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Why do you think it is reoccuring? Is there anything I can to do minimise the return?
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

I'm not sure why it would be recurring.

I know that differin gel works well for fordyce spots.

Try that next time and see if it helps.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can't see how it is likely to be folliculitis. It is on the Inside of my foreskin
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

But you really need them swabbed for herpes to rule that out.

If that is ruled out, this is nothing to worry about.

Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

Agree you are correct in that location.

More likely fordyce

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That's what I wanted too. But the nearest appoinment I could get today after calling the clinic was nearly a week away.
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

Just go to an urgent care when this happens.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
O.K. Thanks for your time Doctor.
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 13 days ago.

You are very welcome :)

Please let me know if you have more questions.

I'm so happy to hear that I was able to answer your question and thank you for the opportunity to help you today.
If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert.
You will have the opportunity to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish.