Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I woke up this morning feeling very dizzy and sick and then

Hi I woke up this morning feeling very dizzy and sick and then had hot and cold sweats! What do you think has caused this?
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: no fever and no other medical conditions
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing. Thank you

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am 41 year old female. The symptoms started this morning as soon as I woke up. Not seen a doctor or taken any tests.

From your description, this is most likely an episode of BPPV, or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - a momentary dizziness that you get when you move your head.

Typically occurs when you get up from bed or when you roll in bed or move your head.
It is a non-critical condition and self-resolving, and you will require to do some exercises.

You should do some adaptation exercises for your dizziness, you can look up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgEtOKAGaI
These exercises are the mainstay of treatment, you should do them regularly.
You should also take OTC Cap. Benadryl 50 mg twice daily, this has an anti-dizziness effect. It may cause sleepiness.

In general, however, all dizziness episodes should be checked up. Such dizziness could also be caused by other ear conditions like ear infections, Meniere's disease. Various other conditions of the brain, heart, etc could also cause such dizziness. So it could be a sign of some potentially dangerous ailments. Hence you should consult your doctor, your GP or Family Physician, ASAP for an examination and investigations if necessary. Ask about BPPV. A maneuver called Epley's maneuver is very useful for this, ask about this.

Meanwhile continue with the Benadryl and the exercises till you get to your doctor.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.