How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18557
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

My hubs d would like to talk to a GO today. He was vomiting

This answer was rated:

My hubs d would like to talk to a GO today. He was vomiting yesterday. He is shivering all the time. He does not have Covid. He is 80 and an insulin dependent diabetic
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He is here on holiday from Dubai. He has not taken any medication for this but is in several regular medications
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: As far as we know he is not allergic to any medication. Do you need the whole list if his medications
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Be stopped taking one of his medications 2 days ago as he has run out. It is called Lyrica. He may be expédier withdrawal symptoms

This is not due to Lyrica withdrawal.

He is likely to be having an acute episode of food posioning. This occurs due to bacteria in something he ate or toxins in food.
In general, most cases of food poisoning can be handled at home. The main thing to watch out for is the severity of symptoms, if he is having very severe vomiting, very bad cramps, etc. Also other symptoms like fever or blood in vomiting, or weakness. Otherwise you can try to manage it at home. He will also need to be seen to by a doctor if it lasts for more than two days.
Home treatment for this is mainly supportive:

Plenty of fluids.
Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.
Small meals.

He can take the following OTC medicines:

Bismuth subsalicylate (brand names: Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol): This is for vomiting if it is severe. The usual dose is 2 tablespoonfuls every half-hour to one hour if needed. He should not take more than 16 tablespoonfuls of the regular-strength suspension or 8 tablespoonfuls of the concentrate in twenty-four hours

He may be having some acid reflux along with this, he should also take Cap. Prilosec (OTC) once daily for this. The bismuth will also help, or he can take Mucaine gel antacid 2-3 tsf thrice daily

If abdominal cramping is very severe, he may need to take antispasmodics for abdominal cramps, these include drugs like Antispas, Antispasmodic, Barbidonna, etc. Antispasmodics are perscription drugs, and you have to approach a doctor for this.

You will need to report to the doctor if the vomiting is so severe he gets dehydrated, or hepasses blood in vomit or stools. Food poisoning usually resolves spontaneously. You will also need to see the doctor if it persists for more than 2 days.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks. I agree with you

Glad to help.

Wish him best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of his progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favorite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

Dr. P. Jyoti and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you