Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Diploma clinical Neurology
111828307

I had IVF egg retrieval over 2 weeks ago. My ovaries are

Hello, I had IVF egg retrieval over 2 weeks ago. My ovaries are still enlarged, I had two ultrasound scans post egg collection, where the consultants said that my ovaries were enlarged but that is to be expected. I have attached the most recent ultrasound images of my two ovaries, it was scanned 2 days ago.Since yesterday I started to feel a slight stabbing/burning sensation in my pelvis - I was also assuming it could be ovulation pain due to the timing, but my ovulation test is negative. It is bearable but annoying.Are my ovaries, especially the right one, very enlarged? Could it be ovarian torsion, an infection or something else??? In what case would I need medical attention?
Hi, this is Dr Ansari, welcome to JA.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
hello!

During the ovary stimulation procedure, the IVF specialist injects medicines to stimulate the Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) or Luteinizing Hormone (LH). This in turn triggers the ovaries to produce more mature eggs.

Overstimulation can cause considerable discomfort for the woman leading to something called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, OHSS and at the same time, inadequate stimulation can result in so few eggs.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I did have mild OHSS but the symptoms have improved a lot. But my ovaries are sitlll enlarged, as you can see on the attached photoscould they have become twisted or infected? how bad is the enlargement?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
when will my ovaries return to normal size?

The size of the ovary during treatment will vary based on the state of the woman’s body. Some women report a feeling of heaviness in their ovaries, bloating, and discomfort, while others experience none during treatment. The ovaries generally return to normal within a few weeks. It may take 9-10 weeks.

Important thing is that you avoid lifting heavy weights, externus exercises.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thanksIf i have mild twinges, could it be ovarian torsion or does ovarion torsion cause severe pain?

Ovarian torsion causes severe pain and is a surgical emergency. An Ultrasound is helpful in ruling out ovarian torsion.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
if i had it would have shown in the pelvic ultrasound? I have attached pictures of that ultrasound when i originally posted my question

Ovarian torsion, also sometimes termed adnexal torsion or tubo-ovarian torsion, Secondary signs include free pelvic fluid, an underlying ovarian lesion, reduced or absent vascularity and a twisted dilated tubular structure corresponding to the vascular pedicle.

Yes, the radiologist must have reported if there is any suspicion of ovarian torsion.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay thank you

You are most welcome.