Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

I am currently on beta blockers which have prevented Atrial

Hello - I am currently on beta blockers which have prevented Atrial Fib after 2 episodes last year. However, as well as skipped heartbeats, I often experience unpleasant sickly/lurching feelings with the heart that I don't think are etopic. These have been more intense in recent days. What are these and are these side effects I have to put up with? Thank you.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Bisoprolol 2.5mg. Can't get a GP appointment for 10+ days. Last visit helped as he was not concerned about skipped beats, but these new, more intense reactions suggest to me I'm experiencing something different.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not sure. The drug is doing what it's supposed to do
Hi. Dr Hayat here. Welcome to JA

May I please know your age and gender?

Any underlying health issues?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Male, 42. No significant underlying health issues that requite other medication or attention.

When was your last ecg and echo?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
December 2021 was after my At Fib came back and the Propranolol was working so heart was regular. I had a 24-hour monitor in October after first AtFib, which had gone after a drug from the hospital.

Any symptoms like dizziness,  shortness of breath,  ankle edema ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No. I do about 3 miles of running (not at PB speed) and never shortness of breath. Sleep has been up and down but been trying to.improve this over 2022. A bit better under bisoprolol than it was under propranolol.
your current rhythm is normal from what I understand?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Currently. Yes. It is slow as per the drug. I am due to take my daily 2.5mg any time now.

Experience: Expert
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello - yes it's is low as pre the drug and regular. I'm due to take my next tablet any time now.

Ok. It doesn't seem worrying . However I would just suggest to get a routine echocardiogram. Meanwhile to continue with the same medication.

Bloods required:

1. Full blood count
  2. Liver function tests
  3. Kidney function tests
  4. Thyroid function tests
  5. Vitamin D & calcium
  6. Serum electrolytes
  7. ESR & CRP

Please do let me know if you have any further questions in future I would be happy to answer

Best of luck