Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a stool test for feacal calaprotein and it’s showing

hi I had a stool test for feacal calaprotein and it’s showing 1400 what does this mean ?
Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

High fecal cal protein generally means some kind of inflammation in the body and is usually caused by inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's or Ulcerative colitis.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you. I will be happy to help you if you have any other questions in the future. Best wishes. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I have been given 45mg prednisone followed by azathioprine. Is this medication I need to take or can do something else to manage the inflammation
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Worried about the long term effects of the medication
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
having a suppressed immune system with young children

Yes, you can take these medicines and once the active phase is settled you can discontinue asking your treating doctor.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
is there any long term effects? and does this work? because my stomach is bloated how does this work by lowering inflammation last thing sorry

These lower the inflammatory cells and lessen the inflammation, long-term use can decrease immunity and you can read long-term side effects of prednisone on the web or in medical literature that comes with it.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
sorry so once she stops the medication i mean would her immune go back to normal?

Yes, that is correct.