Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I was diagnosed with laryngitis just over 3 weeks ago. I’m

I was diagnosed with laryngitis just over 3 weeks ago. I’m still coughing and my voice has returned a little but is still hoarse. This makes me nervous as I’m a singer. Is it normal for the voice to take a little longer to come back and will there be any long term damage?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: 3 weeks. Vocal loss and minor throat irritation.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

What is your age?

Have you shown a doctor for this?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Age 36. I went to an emergency doctor onset of symptoms Monday 3 weeks ago. I had total voice loss, over that weekend I’d developed a cough, sore throat & fever. The fever went away after 2 days and I’ve since been left with very hoarse voice with no upper register and a lingering cough.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I guess I want to know if it’s normal for the voice to take more than 3 weeks for return to normal as I’m a singer

Hoarseness of voice or loss of voice occurs due to laryngitis, or inflammation of the larynx and vocal cords. It occurs due to infection, irritation by cold air or medicines, or due to excessive overuse, as after excessive shouting.

Prolonged hoarseness can be due to several factors, most important is continued misuse of voice, you have to give voice rest. Other factors are continued infection, sinusiti, etc.

Steps to take for this are;

Voice Rest – this is most important. Minimize speaking as far as possible, and avoid shouting completely, also avoid whispering. You have to give voice rest, otherwise it will not heal.
Plenty of fluids.

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.

Antihistamines - Alavert 10 mg once daily (OTC)
Mucosolvan expectorant (OTC) 2 tsf three times daily, Link.

Logenges: such Vicks cough logenges or any hard sweets constantly, this will cause a constant flow of saliva and give you relief. This is as important as a cough syrup.

If the voice loss/hoarseness persists, show an ENT for this. You will need proper examination of your larynx. But dont worry, usually with voice rest and other steps you can expect it to recover.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the advice. So in your opinion no long term damage post 3 weeks if I rest the voice properly so it can heal? I think the continued cough is what’s keeping the voice hoarse but will try the things you mention

Yes, the cough in your case is the main culprit. Take a cough syrup and the other steps I mentioned. There should not be long term damage since it has been there due to the cough and throat infection.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. Last question, how long should I wait for it to naturally repair before seeking ENT?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can it sometimes take a month to return fully to normal
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Given the cough x

Wait for another week, then see the ENT

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok x thanks

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

A bonus is always welcome!!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much. Will do.