Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Im visiting the Uk from Canada and I am pretty sure I need

Im visiting the Uk from Canada and I am pretty sure I need antibiotics. I have a sore throat with a cough. It’s pretty bad and nothing is getting rid of the soreness. Can I still get antibiotics being away? It feels like sinuses but the cough is really bad. It isn’t covid.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No fever at all. It started last Friday. Progressed when I got here. I flew on Monday
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am allergic to sulpha and potatoes. That’s really all I can think of. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 day ago.

In the UK, you will only be able to get antibiotics  on prescription. The best option for you since you want early treatment is to go for a private Walk In clinic. You should google ‘Walk In clinic near me’ or 'Private walk in clinic near me' and call and make an appointment. You should describe your symptoms. The doctor there will give you a prescription if found necessary don’t worry. Since you are not covered by NHS it will be a paid service.

You can also go to the nearest ‘Urgent Treatment Center’. There you will be triaged and waiting time will depend on that. If considered an emergency, you will get early treatment and the service will be free, if it is not an emergency, you may have a significant waiting time and it will be a paid service.

If your condition is not an emergency, you can also call 111 for advise. You can also ask your hotel for a referral to their GP, or if you are staying with friends or relatives, you can ask them to get an appointment with their GP. Waiting time for a GP appointment will typically be in days.

Meanwhile, you can try the following home treatment.

Rest.
Plenty of fluids.
Tab. Motrin (OTC) 200 mg twice daily for the pain.
Hexidine mouth wash (OTC) - use for mouth wash three times daily.

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.

Antihistamines - Alavert 10 mg once daily (OTC)

Logenges: such Vicks cough logenges or any hard sweets constantly, this will cause a constant flow of saliva and give you relief. This is as important as a cough syrup.

If you are having nose block,

Decongestants - Sudafed 24 hour once daily(OTC)
Xylometazoline nasal drops - Otrivin nasal drops 2 drops three times daily in both nostrils(OTC).
For cough,

OTC antitussives: For dry cough: Brand names - Triaminic Cold & Cough, Robitussin Maximum Strength, Vicks 44 Cough Relief. For wet cough with a lot of sticky phlegm: Mucosolvan expectorant (OTC) 2 tsf three times daily

You have to see a doctor if your develop fever beyond 101 degree F, have fever for more than 5 days, If the pain persists beyond 5 days, or gets worse. Your doctor can provide a prescription for antibiotics.

But you can try with this home treatment for now.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
It has been more than 5 days with the cough and sore throat

I understand. This seems to be a mild throat infection. It could be a viral infection. Antibiotics are not really necessary for this since you do not have fever. You can try the over the counter treatment I recommended.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thank you very much

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health. Have a great day!

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

A bonus is always welcome!!

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I appreciate all your help. Thank you so much