Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I think i need some antibiotics my throat is swollen, yes, i

Hi i think i need some antibiotics my throat is swollen
JA: Have you used the antibiotics or anything similar before?
Customer: yes
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the swelling?
Customer: i tried to call them yesterday but couldn’t get through. I thought it may get better but woken up this morning and it’s relatively bad
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i am allergie to penecillin allergic

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your age and if you have any white patches/pus on your tonsils, pain anywhere else, fever, cough, breathing difficulties, vomiting, bleeding, etc? 

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Dr Geyik, I am 51 no white patches. No pain anywhere else just swollen back of throat and swollen uvula. Difficult to talk painful to drink

The most common cause of sore throat is a viral illness/tonsillitis. This sort of infection can last up to 7-10 days, and you don't always need antibiotics for this.

You can take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen for the pain if you are not allergic to these medicines and you don't have asthma or stomach issues. And you can also try warm drinks with lemon/honey/ginger and steaming.

However, if your symptoms are quite severe or you feel unwell, you should call 111 for an assessment and possible antibiotics.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
it should just go on its own?

Viral tonsillitis do go away on their own but obviously, if you feel very unwell and develop white patches or pus on your tonsils, you will require oral antibiotics.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. I will try 111

You are most welcome and best wishes!