Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I get stomach spasm’s after a meal,what I call griping pains

I get stomach spasm’s after a meal,what I call griping pains which I have now had for a few months.mu bowel movements are erratic and the stools float.I have put up with it,but it is starting to get me down.
JA: How long have you had the spasm? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I asked my gp over the phone and he gave me omeprazole which I take occasionally for my hiatal hernia.
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides Omeprazole for this?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i have always been very healthy apart from the hernia.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am male and I’m 77 years old

This is likely to be Acid Peptic Disorder. Acid peptic disorder is what we commonly know as 'gas' pains and include acid reflux, gastritis and ulcers.

For now, I would suggest that you take Alka Seltzer or Mylanta two-three teaspoonfuls thrice daily and Cap. Prilosec 20 mg(OTC) now and once daily early in the morning for 20 days.

Also cut down on alcohol and smoking, cut down on deep fried foods, take small frequent meals.

If the pain does not get better with this, you need to see a doctor. Other possible causes are Irritable bowel syndrome, cholecystitis (due to gall blader inflammation), liver disorders, Pancreatitis, splenic flexure syndrome, costochondritis, etc
Tests that will help are Ultrasound of the abdomen and Upper GI Endoscopy. You can also discuss about Breath test for stomach bacteria and Peptest for saliva to test for acids.

Don’t worry, it is most likely to be APD and should get better with these steps, but if it doesn’t show a doctor.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I can’t afford you

Please dont worry about the call request, it is generated automatically by the website, not by me. I will help you through text.