Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

Issues with swallowing, yes I have and 45mg mirtazapine and

Issues with swallowing
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes I have and 45mg mirtazapine and 20mg propanolol
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: barium swallow test was done but they only found a slight delay in the swallow and nasal endoscope was performed with no findings. Several blood test were done finding nothing
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: they test cbc, tsh levels and barium swallow and endoscope scope where performer 3 months ago

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your age and if there have been a diagnosis for this swallowing issue and whether you are under a specialist? 

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Age 28 and no diagnose of anything currently

Do you get any pain in your throat/gullet, pain anywhere else, acid reflux/indigestion, cough, breathing issues, fever, vomiting, bleeding, etc?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Very mild pain in throat, stiffness in neck with some mild pain, feeling out of breath more easily during excise, sinus congestion, phlegm ( bubbles) and struggling to eat certain foods

You have had various tests and they were normal, so where do you think your symptoms are coming from or do you have any specific concerns?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Well I was wondering if the swallow issue is due to being on mirtazapine causing Esophageal Dysmotility but would that turn up on the barium swallow or not. Or could it be my anxiety effecting my swallowing function causing a delay

It can cause various side effects such as nausea/vomiting or indigestion but swallowing difficulties is not a common side effect.

And if it has caused physical issues/changes with your oesophagus, yes that would have been shown on the barium swallow.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Do you think I could be my anxiety causing a delay in my swallowing function rather than anything like acid reflux or something else due to a clear barium swallow test.

Yes, anxiety can cause bizarre and unusual symptoms including difficulty swallowing, fear of swallowing, feeling of something in throat (Globus hystericus), etc.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I was very anxious during the barium swallow test could that have caused the delay in swallowing during the test

Yes, that is a possibility.

It is very reassuring that the test did not show any physical abnormalities, and that your other tests were normal.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thank you for the reassures so you believe it could just be pure anxiety

Yes, if all of these tests are normal, then it is unlikely you have an anatomical or pathological cause; and anxiety could be the cause.

So, you can monitor it for now and if there are any new changes, you can speak to your GP for a review.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.

You are most welcome.