Dr Ahmad
Dr Ahmad,
Experience:  Expert
116987717

My wife (Tina)has been feeling giddy since this morning

Hello My wife (Tina)has been feeling giddy since this morning around 9.30 a.m., and nauseous. It got better for a while this morning but since lunch (simple spaghetti with mild sauce) she has felt unwell again. She has now been lying down around 2 hours and there is no improvement. I have just taken her blood pressure and it reads 1. Systolic 202/Dias117. Pressure 90. 2. S188/D108.P80 3. S186/D103 P85. Her GP has prescribed Losartin 25 mg per day. She took this today as usual at 11 a.m. Thank you, ***** ***** 01403 734100
JA: When was your wife prescribed this medication? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: Thank you. In March this year. No obvious side-effects.
JA: Got it. Has she used anything else for this?
Customer: No, nothing else. She takes no other medication.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Pearl, I don't think so. She has been susceptible to nausea in the past but this has lessened a lot over time and she takes Ondansitron - by melts, as she cannot keep anything down. But thankfully that has not happened for a long time now but on very rare occasions she has taken it as a preventative (she has swallow ones as well) where she felt she might get a problem with this acute nausea/migraine condition. I think I have got that right! I don't have any records. Thanks

Hi welcome to JA.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Dr, you have my question and information I think? Thank you. Please advise what I can do for my wife.

How old is she? any diarrhoea or abdominal pain?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, please online, not phone.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is 75. No, no other symptoms other than I have explained.

The BP reading is very high. Have you checked the reading several times. If its after an episode of retching or vomiting it would explain it but otherwise please recheck 3 times in the morning and evening

has she been drinking enough water?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She finds it difficult to drink because of the very bad nausea.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have checked the reading, she has not been vomiting or retching.

she needs to ensure she takes regular sips of water so she is well hydrated especially in this hot weather

viral gastroenteritis can cause acute nausea but usually associated with some abdominal cramping/pain

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you think that is all, or is other treatment, medication needed. Would dioralyte help?

you can buy oral rehydration solution to help with the hydration and maintain electrolyte levels in the body.

yes exactly

take this regularly

but also recheck the BP again 3 times a day in the morning and evening and present these results to your GP as if her BP is consistently high she may need further anti-hypertensive medication.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. I don't believe she has gastroenteritis as there is no stomach pain, vomiting, or diarrhea (spelling!)

For now I would recommend sticking to the dioralyte and if not settling by the next day or two to attend an urgent care centre/gp for face to face assessment and further observations.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK, thank you Dr Ahmad for this advice.

I wish your wife all the best.