Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Well it of a poser we have no mill lights either orange or

Customer Question

Well it of a poser we have no mill lights either orange or red
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2008 fe85 7.5 ton foso canter
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Today I have started cleaning only throttle control sensor in the inlet maifold
JA: Is there anything else the Truck Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Well I am a truck man so I don't thi k so I have purchased this truck and only done the front brakes
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: What part of the world are you
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.
Hiya

Other than posting that you have started cleaning the Throttle Control Sensor and that there are no MIL Lights on you have failed to provide any indication for anyone to suggest what issue / fault you have with the vehicle!

If you could provide more information then this would be helpful!

Phillip

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi phillip as o er the years I have ran many trucks unfortunately for me I bought this a few months ago took it for test failed miserably but the ma handicap side is no pro lem ut mmmmm the electric side seems to e an issue now I ha e started cleaning the mail items such as the throttle body checking to make sure it was not stuck now the next item will be the air flow sensor in the top of the air filter as these are very expensive I will try cleaning g first with the corre g cleaner the next will be the main valve body egr I think they call it now the big issue is that the vehicle failed on one item mainly I am having issues with now
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The issue is that it failed o the mill light is there anyway we an trace if the mill light has been disconcted from the wiri g system or could you point me in the right direction I have checked the fuses in both fuse boxs and they seem untracked yours for now Neil
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Although the truck runs quite well it goes into limp and does smoke ow in the old days this would point to air blockage or maybe pu p problems incorrect ti ing etcetera
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Back to the truck look forward to hearing from thanks neil
Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.

Hiya

The MIL light should illuminate when the ignition is switched on as part of the self test function.  If it doesn't then you have three potential areas to look at:

1. Engine Control Module
  2. Wiring
  3. Combi Meter

Often if you use Manufacturers Diagnostic Equipment in the Data Log function there is usually one for the MIL Light to show if it is on or off.  This should be checked first.  You may also find there is a self test function for the Combi Meter which tests every function of the Combi Meter including Gauges and Lights.  You should find this in the Service Manual if it is available.  If this is all ok then the next stage is to check the Wiring as per the Wiring Diagrams in the Service Manual.

Cleaning Electrical Items doesn't really work (other than terminals).  If the vehicle is smoking then as you rightly say you could be looking at an Air Intake issue or Fuel Pump issue.  More often than not on modern vehicles this is usually down to EGR Valve Issues (either stuck open or closed).  If the EGR is stuck closed then the vehicle could potentially be over fuelling which would cause the smoke (EGR weakens off the mixture by recycling some unburnt fuel within the exhaust).  Depending on what colour the smoke is there is also the possibility  of a leak in the EGR cooler allowing coolant to be burnt as well which will cause you smoking issue.

The Technical Information can be found within the Mercedes Benz B2B Portal for which various subscription options are available.   This can be found here: MB B2B.

Phillip

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks ks phillip we will soldier on Neil
Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.
Hiya

No problem.

Phillip