How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

My mother has been binge drinking last few years, especially

Customer Question

My mother has been binge drinking for the last few years, especially after work, she will come in drunk, try to hide alcohol and pretend that she's not been drinking. It's putting pressure on my parents' relationship and I think it's only a matter of time before she injures herself or someone else. Would you recommend a psychiatric assessment or something else?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


I would recommend she see her doctor, and that she get involved in a comprehensive alcohol use disorder program

This would include

a. Assessment by her doctor.

b. Psychologist or pyschiatrist with alcoholism training.

c. 12 step group attendance.

If she does not want help however, this is going to be difficult, and you and the family might get professional guidance [alcoholism trained psychologist] on creating an intervention for your mother.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor with over 20 years helping people with alcohol problems.

Good luck.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here