wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Is it Cyclothymia or Bipolar Disorder? I was diagnosed with

Customer Question

Is it Cyclothymia or Bipolar Disorder?I was diagnosed with Cyclothymia back in 2011. At the time I was already on two different medications to treat a different mental health condition (Borderline Personality Disorder) The Doctor suggested putting me on a mood stabiliser however he later concluded that I was stable on the meds I was already on.I found that the medication didn't help with the BPD and I was still experiencing shifts in mood and later sought advise from my GP who decided to take me off the antipsychotic and antidepressant. Gradually I noticed that my mood swings began to get more intense and longer, I found that I'd experience long periods of not needing sleep, yet being able to function pretty well on just 2-3 hours at most sometimes I couldn't even sleep at all and would go a whole 5 days straight just feeling extremely restless and not being able to know how to channel all the energy I was feeling.My question is should I seek treatment? I have been going through a difficult time recently and have struggled to manage my mood without getting into some serious trouble such as overspending. I feel very driven and very, very hyper at the moment but in a way that isn't nice anymore, it always comes with lows and that manifests itself as having zero energy or enthusiasm to do anything. I will cry and get emotional for no reason at all, it's actually getting in the way of my work and social life.Also because I'm really confused between Cyclothymia and Bipolar ll Disorder I wonder since being told back in 2011 that it could develop into Bipolar ll whether it already has? It has been a while since I was discharged from outpatients and I haven't seen anybody since then, I've basically been dealing with all of this on my own, in affect trying to treat myself.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

How old are you?

M/F?

Have you been admitted to an inpatient psychiatric hospital in the past?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HiThanks for your response.I have been an inpatient a couple of times in the past but no longer than a week. I am 28 yrs old and female. I am not on any medication.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry forgot. No I don't have any other medical conditions.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

To answer your question directly:

1. Yes. I do believe you should consult with a psychiatrist and seek an update of your diagnosis and possible treatment.

2. Given what you have posted it is very possible that your past cyclothymia has progressed into bipolar. But the only way to know for sure is to see a psychiatrist in person for a complete evaluation.

3. Dealing with this on your own is not a good idea....and self treatment is just going to let things get much worse.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS