Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychologist
Experience:  Associate Professor at Southern Illinois University
103570534

I think I have symptoms of BPD or bipolar type 2 disorder

I think I have symptoms of BPD or bipolar type 2 disorder and don’t know what to do. Please help. Been struggling with this for years and symptoms just getting worse

Hi. Thanks for your question. I’m Dr. Kertz, a clinical psychologist and I’m here to help. Let me review your question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok do you want any background information

Can you tell me a little about your symptoms? And to be sure I’m giving you the information that you need, is your question about finding the right kind of therapy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where I live there is no signAl so u fortunately I cannot call you

Oh, that's ok, no need for a call.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just want some information on how to approach a doctor about these symptoms. I have tried therapy without medication and if anything I am worse off. I’m often depressed but can ocationally have days of having to much energy. Gambling and having racing thoughts.

OK, I see. When you say doctor do you mean someone who will prescribe medication?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but also give me diagnosis on what could be wrong with me

Absolutely, I can help by giving you some information. I can't make a diagnosis without meeting you in person and completing a diagnostic assessment but I can review the symptoms of BPD with you. Would that help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that would be very helpful

Ok, great. Would you say you have a lot of stormy relationship? Highs and lows?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I’d say I have more lows then highs. When I’m low I tend to cut people out and not socialise. Where as I have periods where I am very socialble. I go out drinking and what not

Ok, that makes sense. Other symptoms include (2) often feeling as though you are being abandoned or worrying that you will be abandoned, (3) unstable self-image or sense of self, (4) impulsivity, which can include drinking, using substances, spending, sex, binge eating, or reckless driving. Do any of those resonate with you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I definitely worry about my image and have anxiety about my weight and what not. and can be very impulsive with drink and substance abuse and binge eating

Ok, how about your sense of self or your identity? Do you ever feel like you're not really sure who you are or what you believe in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not really. I have times where I don’t see the point and feel very numb but not that no

Ok, that's helpful information. Other symptoms are (5) chronic feelings of emptiness, (6) feeling angry or difficulty controlling ager, (7) and moodiness-moods that change rapidly and usually last a few hours at time rather than a few days at a time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I suffer from all of them. I am a very angry person at time. I hit thing and shout and find it hard to control. Like I said I can have time of feeling very numb and empty and can go from a good mood to becoming very irritable very quickly

OK, (8) when you feel stressed do you ever feel like people are deliberately being mean to you, picking on your, or talking about you? Or do you feel like things around you are unreal?

And the last one (9) is engaging in self-harm behavior, talking about suicide, or making suicide attempts?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I get paranoid about people talking about me and not like me. But things never feel unreal. And no none of number 9

Ok, we're making progress. Now to meet criteria for BPD 5 of these 9 need to fit. I would advise you to make an appointment with a psychologist who can go over these with you in more detail in person to make sure the symptoms do or do not fit--that's difficulty to do over a chat like this. There is no known medication with strong research support for BPD. The best treatment for BPD is something called Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). It has been shown in many research studies to be very helpful for many people with these kinds of symptoms.

Here is a link with more information

https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/ABPDBrief.pdf

i would suggest that you look at the Find a Therapist option on the Psychology Today website. You can search by your insurance and look for DBT.

I hope this was a helpful experience for you today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. If you need any more assistance I would be more than happy to answer another question in the future. Best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thankyou. Could it be anything others than BDP?
I have had DBT therapy before and it did seem to help with my anger but not depression etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thanks so much

It is possible to also have depression. In most cases DBT should be completed first because it also treats depression. Be sure that your therapist is trained in DBT and it's also best to complete the skills training group as well. For some people it takes several round of the treatment because it can be complicated! The symptoms that I reviewed with you respond best to DBT.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thanks for your help

You're very welcome! I hope you find something that helps soon.