Tori, Psychologist
Tori, Psychologist, CPsychol (Occ)
Experience:  Work/Coaching Psychologist & Therapist
105912372

I feel very anxious about my placement allocation for next

I feel very anxious about my placement allocation for next year as I have been allocated there for an entire year.
This is due to my brother coming to study here as well, and leaving him alone makes me even more anxious about him as he is a minor.

Hi, I hope I can help.

Can you tell me little bit more about your situation, and the nature of the anxiety you are experiencing.

Does your placement allocation mean that you will be away from your brother for the next year? How old is your brother?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my brother just turned 17
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he will be new in the country
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its an extra strain on me that could be avoided if i am placed next to him

I understand. So just to clarify, your anxiety is around the extra responsibility you feel you will have looking out for him as well as concentrating on your own studies over the coming year?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no its the worrisome of him being away without adequate support

Is there any way you could seek help or assistance to see if he can be placed near you? Perhaps your placement allocation could be rearranged under the circumstances? Is this something you could look into, and would this be helpful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they have rejected my appeal twice
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
would you be able to write me a letter stating my caring respinsibilities towards my brother
outlining the importance of it on minor students?

Oh I'm sorry. I am not a medical doctor, I am a Workplace Psychologist, and wouldn't really have the authority to make this assessment.

If he has been accepted as a student, it is likely this will have been independent of your presence there. As you will be aware, there are student supports in place to ensure all students have access to the appropriate support that they will need while studying. Perhaps if your placement allocation had been closer, this would not have give him the same opportunity/necessity to become more independent during his studies. Perhaps, as we all would do, he would have relied on you much more to do things that now he is going to have to do for himself, and he will find that he is capable of doing them - that is partly what studying enables - the development of independence and accountability.

I there anything else I can help you with?