How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ben Your Own Question
Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 943
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Mental Health, Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Ben is online now

My mother seems to be suffering from dementia but we are

This answer was rated:

My mother seems to be suffering from dementia but we are unable to find any help from NHS to diagnose it. Where is the best place to seek help urgently.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Please can you elaborate on your question for me?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
my mother keeps forgetting most common things, most of the times she continues doing a task like brush, hair combing etc until we interrupt. she most of the times wakes up at night and cannot go back to sleep. our GP is not able to assist her situation but says it seems like dementia.

I understand, thank you.

May I ask:

- How old is she?

- Any medical problems?

- Any medications?

- Where and with whom does she live?

- What sort of assistance, investigation, treatment etc. do you think would be most helpful?

- What exactly has the GP said/done? What is the reason they are unable to assist?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
She is 71, diabetic, hypertionsion and on type 2 diabetic pills medication for a long time about 15 years.
She is with us at the moment (me, my wife and kids) in UK.
We need to see if there is some medical treatment available for her condition?
GP has assessed her and confirmed that it is suspected dementia and need further medical attention. but they are not able to from where

Many thanks for that helpful information.

I am still unclear as to why the GP is unable to help. Standard practice would be for the GP to undertake screening tests including blood samples (FBC, U&E, LFT, TFT, Calcium, Folate, B12, HbA1c), a brief memory assessment test (either MMSE or GPCOG) and refer on to a specialist memory service for more detailed investigation and appropriate treatment.

Do you know why this hasn’t happened?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
We took her to AnE yesterday and they have done some blood tests (we dont know which ones) which came out ok. but they did not conduct any memory test and referred to GP to be referred to specialist care. it has been long time about 11 months when we first realised the issue with her but thought it is ok for anyone to forget things but it is getting worse.
Hopefully GP will refer us to some specialist now.
Do you have any suggestions?

Perhaps there is simply a misunderstanding - I would suggest seeing the GP again with a view to carrying out the standard approach as detailed above (feel free to reference my answer) and if this is not done, ask for the reasoning behind this (and let me know).

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Many thanks, will let you know

You’re very welcome, all the best.

Dr. Ben and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you