How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 15121
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now

I suffer from an altered mental state and paranoid psychosis

Customer Question

I suffer from an altered mental state and paranoid psychosis from huffing petrol 20 years ago, its constant and never ending, 10 years of treatment from the public psychiatry service as done nothing to help me, they have no knowledge about solvent abuse, I need a psychiatrist who will actually take the time to research solvent abuse to find the exact nuero chemical changes that occur and then come up with a game plan, conventional psychiatric medication does not work for this, I also had severe depression and anxiety but for the past 7 years only issue is psychosis.
I'm posting a link to one study I found online. recommends taking nac to restore gluthtione to regulate gaba / glutamate, this is probably why I had depression and why no anti depressant medication worked for me, it then says long term solvent abuse blocks MDNA receptors causing hallucinations so im taking glycine to try and unblock them, there's also other stuff that I can't comprehend.I'm not well enough to be able to understand most of this, I can't get a private psychiatrist in my area so im trying online, I really need professional help, someone who's willing to actually research my condition, then advice me on the best course of treatment, I'd be happy to pay some sort of bonus if you could do this for me.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'll wait.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 days ago.

How can I be of service?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
HI Dr. Rick.
Thank you for replying, can you help me?, Iv found two study's that both claim solvent abuse directly affects Gaba, NDMA receptors, Glycine and 5ht3 receptors, I'm trying to reverse these changes taking nac for gaba and glycine to unblock MDNA receptors, I have paranoid psychosis, psychiatric medication does nothing for this, I need to address the exact nuero chemical changes that have occurred, are there any other supplements that could help me?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm not well enough to understand complex brain chemistry, I need someone who does, do you think glycine could cure my psychosis?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 days ago.

Unfortunately, this is not something that you are going to be able to fix on your own. Supplements are not going to be able to bring everything back into balance.

You need expert, personalized, help.
So what to do?

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and ask your GP to refer you to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get things back in balance.

Does this make sense to you?

I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll look into that if it's a possibility, I'm not sure if it's possible in my country, my GP has been absolutely no help, it's a battle to get any type of referral.
Iv found two study's that say the same thing about chronic solvent abuse, it depletes gluthione and blocks MDNA receptors, there are no pharmaceuticals that can fix that but NAC and Glycine actually can, there nootropic, I'm also taking very large doses of Dihexa to repair brain damage and just increased overall brain health.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 days ago.

Sounds like you are doing all that you can do without the help of sub-specialty doctors.

I wish you the very best and hope you feel better soon :-)

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you, it's not that I think I can do it alone it's just my doctors block all referrals for specialist treatment, toxic brain injury specialist, nuero psychiatrist, I once got to see a neurologist who wouldn't give me the right scans to determine toxic brain injury, he just ran an mri and tested my motor skills, I don't suppose you have access to specific literature on solvent abuse?, it's a verily common global practice so I'm surprised it's not covered in psychiatry, I hope what I'm doing is actually working and I can make a full recovery some day.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 days ago.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of specific research data available that concentrates on the neurological damage caused by abuse.....

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Maybe not the neurological damage but there should be literature on the nuero chemical changes that cause psychiatric illness.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 days ago.

There might be however those sort of detailed articles are probably only read by a small subset of highly specialized experts such as you would find in a large academic medical center.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Well thank's for you help, I'll talk to my gp to see if it's possible to get academic treatment.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 3 days ago.

Sounds like an excellent plan.

I hope you, finally, get the care you need to be able to put all of this behind you.