Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I'm not 100% sure how to say this but my son is and has been

Customer Question

Hi - I'm not 100% sure how to say this but my son is and has been showing very strong characteristicts of a narcissist and it is becoming more and more difficult to have them in the home. I have taken him to the doctors a few times as he also suffers from anxiety but due to his drinking and drug taking at the time they would not send him to see a psychiatrist. I would like to know how or who I should go to in order to get a clinical diagnosis for him so that I can help him or make life easier at home
JA: When did the anxiety start? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: Anxiety first came about when he started secondary school but we didnt really know that is what it was. It became very bad when he was 19 and was also drinking quite heavily also at the time. the doctor prescribed him medication and that works but he only takes it when he feels bad
JA: Got it. How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: recently I have not been sleeping very well as just worried about the situation at home as recently it has became quite toxic and my son has a deep dislike of everyone in the family at the moment because he thinks we dont back him up or side with him
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: My sons grandfathers sister was a paranoid schizophrenic and I beleive that his father is bipolar but that has not been clinically diagnosed but does has an effect on the household too but its managable
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 17 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear of your son. How old are they please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
my son is 22

Okay thank you.

I would suggest it is wise to get him seen, for support for himself, but it will be easier if he has insight that there is a problem.

I would ask to see a Psychologist as the wait for a Psychiatrist will be a few months, but indeed, as long as he is not relying on alcohol or taking drugs, they would be able to see him.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.

That is my pleasure, all the best.