Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My mother has all the symptoms of going through a breakdown

Customer Question

My mother has all the symptoms of going through a breakdown but she won’t accept help or talk what can I do ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 11 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

I am sorry to hear about your mother. If you are worried about them then express your concern and make sure that they are aware they can speak with you.

Hopefully with time they will open up to you for help.

Unfortunately all the time they can make decisions, i.e. has capacity, then whether you think what they are doing is right or wrong, it is still their decision.

If however you think they are a risk to themselves, for example harming, or suicidal risk, then it would then be appropriate to call the GP without their consent to raise this.

It is certainly very challenging to watch a family member be like this.