Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have been diagnosed with moderately severe ischaemia and

Customer Question

Hello I have been diagnosed with moderately severe ischaemia and now I cramps I'm
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I have
JA: Is there anything else the Psychologist should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I also have weakness and some discomfort on my left arm arm and neck although I just noticed the discomforts now is more on my right neck? Is this arteriosclerosis. Am I dying .? Should I be saying goodbye? I have not seen my family in more than 20 years. Should I be doing this as a matter of urgency as I may not have long to leave. Am about to start a new job? Should I start when I know in few months I could be dead?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: Am feeling tingly just few days. I have been to A&E on multiple occasions and they do their test and say everything is ok
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 10 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Please can I ask how this ischaemia has been diagnosed?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
MRI scan

And you have ischaemia of what please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Brain

Okay thanks. So this wouldn't cause your cramps.

Where are the cramps you are experiencing?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry it feels more like frostbite
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
is on my fingers and some tingling on my legs

Okay thanks, ***** ***** a cramp?

Tingling can be due to nerve impingement or also B12 deficiency.

Musculo skeletal causes are also possible.

I would suggest physiotherapy to assess this but also b12 levels via a blood test.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I excercise regularly and so don't know why I still have it?I also have pressure on my head and I don't know if this pressure is due to the dilation and relation of arteries in my brain due to side effects of the drugs am taking to control my blood pressure medication that include 10mg anlodipine, 2mg doxasasin and 4mg Candestatin, propane 1 ol
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry I meant dilation and relaxation of blood vessel?

Exercise wouldn't prevent this as such, so this doesn't exclude it.

If you have a pressure in your head then it is important to make sure your blood pressure is controlled.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My blood pressure is controlled it is currently 115/74 with heart rate of 65.So do u think it is wrong to say that the pressure on my head and left side of neck and shoulder could be partly due to my medication which dilates and relaxes the muscles of the blood vessel enabling blood to flow at a higher speed thus putting pressure on my head whilst increasing blood circulationI don't understand my blood pressure is so low compared to previous reading
Or is this a progression of the brain ischaemia. Is it possible to survive or fight it or will this lead death. Should I begin to say goodbye?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My doctor has asked for a blood test to be carried out. I will ask that B12 deficiency should be included. I will also be doing MRl on brain and neck? Do you know any other test I should be taking
The only time am not thinking about what is happening to me is when am in the gym.as it help
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 9 days ago.

Some medication can indeed cause the headache, but a nitrate would cause generalised dilation therefore a generalised headache.

So what you describe is not a sign of ischaemia. Brain Ischaemia is a stroke. This is not.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My Doctor said the MRi scan taken is consistent with moderately severe ischaemia.. so does that mean I suffered a lstroke without knowingabout it? ? If so are these symptoms am having due to the stroke. So the pressure on my head the weak left side of my arm my neck and shoulder pain. the frostbite or cramp sensation are as a result of what? B12 deficiency or muscoskeletal issue
My medication are amlodipine doxasin. Candestarten and propamolol. can these be responsible For the headache?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Although I goto A&e and they do neurological test and say everything is fine I know sometimes my left arm shoulder neck feels different from right side. I excercise regularly which helps q lot. But I don't know if its ischaemia ie stroke and the prognosis I understand is death. If am dying then I want to be mentally prepared and come to terms with it and say my goodbyes
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 8 days ago.

If this is what they have said, then yes, in a way. However if those findings are long standing then I do not think these findings are what are causing your symptoms.

I do not think this is a sign of you dying. I think this is a bit complex and you should really follow up with your doctor.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello So I have also been noticing that when i sit in one place for a while i struggle to work initially but gradually my movement improves as i suspect blood circulation in my leg improves, So do you think this is a blood circulation problem, if so can it ever be cured?
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 5 days ago.

Not really no. A circulation problem is either venous or arterial. Venous circulation issues are varicose veins, they can cause legs to ache, but not much more. Arterial problems cause pain, but as you walk the blood demand increases. If you have arterial disease, then the extra oxygenated blood required cannot get into the muscles. This would then result in an ischaemic pain which is a sharp cramping pain. This would then settle with a few minutes of rest as more blood comes through.