How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliot Ruff Your Own Question
Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 3859
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliot Ruff is online now

I developed severe depression and anxiety after having covid

Customer Question

I developed severe depression and anxiety after having covid 19. Could I have Brain Damage? I suddenly developed suicidal thoughts after covid, Is there a connection?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 10 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. COVID would not be able to cause brain damage, the only way it can cause brain damage indirectly is due to those requiring long term ventilation on an Intensive Care Unit.

If you did not require treatment like this then your brain is fine. However there is a common post viral syndrome called Long Covid Syndrome.

This is now quite common but unfortunately there is no treatment other than symptomatic management. So in this case, counselling, and possibly anti depressants.

I would however ask for a blood test to check for deficiencies such as B12, folate and hypothyroidism as these could contribute.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** those blood tests and everything is normal but this deep depression is terrible. My gp has put me on citalopram but after 3 weeks its made me worse.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 10 days ago.

Okay, so I think 3 weeks is a good amount of time, I would therefore review this with your GP to consider an alternative.