How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim Brown Your Own Question
Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4077
Experience:  GP in Sussex
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Tim Brown is online now

I'd like some advice about an issue happening at the moment

Customer Question

hi there, i'd like some advice about an issue happening at the moment with my brother, he's not long been sectioned and come out of hospital but is causing problems in his local area being aggressive with friends and neighbours and the family want to know if we can get him taken back into hospital? he's also been arrested last weekend and is due to go to court next week but we don't think he'll meet us/get to court
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: i'm asking for advice about my brother he was prescribed an anti psychotic in hospital a couple of weeks ago but he stopped taking when he left
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about psychosis?
Customer: yes i've talked to his doctor at length but they're not in work until monday morning now...
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: he's got schizotypal/schizoid personality disorder and undiagnosed autistic thanksCustomer: Chat is completed
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 10 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your brother. Ideally you should contact your brothers CPN. If you do not have their details, you should contact their GP with your concerns, who would then help contact the psychiatric team.

If however you feel this is urgent and they are a risk to themselves now, then calling the police would be your best option.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for replying
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 10 days ago.

That is my pleasure, I hope that this helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Unfortunately this doesn't help at all, I was hoping to find out what the process for getting him sectioned is, his gp and other doctors are not available until Monday morning otherwise I would have just called them. I used this as it says it's a 24 hour service....
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He's been sectioned a number of times and I have often spoken to his go and other doctors, I don't know what a CPN is and perhaps not the time for medical anacronynms....
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
His GP*
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 10 days ago.

For him to be sectioned again you would need a Psychiatrist. Your only route to this out of hours is via an out of hours service. As I have explained, the police can section someone for them to then be formally assessed by a psychiatrist. Alternatively you can call the CRISIS team, for which your brother would have been given a direct number, or you can access this via 111.

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 10 days ago.

So if it is urgent and they are at immediate risk to themselves and others, the police is appropriate to use. Otherwise it would be their GP.

Alternatively you can contact a private psychiatrist for sectioning under a private facility. But private is not 24 hours, and would have to wait until next week.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thankyou that's very helpful
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 10 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** it is not a straightforward pro