Heather Bellizzi
Heather Bellizzi,
Experience:  Psychotherapist at Bellizzi Psychotherapy
113689526

I have been having ongoing postural issues which have been

Hi there, I have been having ongoing postural issues which have been leading to physical health problems (acid reflux, throat tension, and light-headedness/dizziness). Undoubtedly, this has caused much stress and worry, though ordinarily, I would consider myself to have good mental health. However, I wonder whether stress/anxiety is worsening my postural issues and hence other symptoms, as mentioned above. Like a positive feedback effect. My question: is the link plausible? And would it be worth seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist? I've read about the field of psychophysiology, do practitioners do clinical work?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I've had a number of doctors run a number of checks to determine whether the physical symptoms (acid reflux etc.) is not due to other things. I am 22 with no underlying health problems
Helloo, my name is***** am a psychotherapist and mental health expert. I am sorry to hear that you are suffering physically and emotionally.

One common problem is health anxiety.  If you worry a lot about your health, you are going to double your problem.  Another common problem is the experience of psychosomatic reactions to stress.  This means that your experience of anxiety creates or worsens a physical complaint.  And definitely, stress can negatively affect your health in a negative loop.  You feel stress, your body develops illness which causes more stress which causes worsening of conditions.  In any of the above mentioned scenarios a professional will definitely be able to help you.

Indeed, stress symptoms can affect your body, your thoughts and feelings, and your behavior. One common stress response is the tightening of muscles.  Progressive relaxation, deep breathing, yoga, and medication are all possible ways to start helping yourself if you haven't done so already.

Being able to recognize common stress symptoms can help you manage them. Stress that's left unchecked can contribute to many health problems such as the ones you are mentioning and others, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, and diabetes. I would consult a specialist if there is one in your area.  It seems there is sometimes a shortage of specialists and if this is the case, just getting started with a general practitioner is better than nothing.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Many thanks for the insight into this doc. When you say specialist, what sort of specialist specifically would you recommend?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
psychiatrist?

If you are interested in taking medication,  a psychiatrist is your best bet.  However, if you are looking to learn behavioral strategies and coping skills a therapist or psychologist who specializes in stress management, health anxiety, or biofeedback might be your best bet.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK great, I will look into getting an appointment, thanks for the time.

You're welcome, I am happy to assist.  I will close the chat now. Have a great day.