KemalG
KemalG,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I've been struggling with anxiety the last few days and it's

Hi, I've been struggling with anxiety the last few days and it's gotten to the point where it feels suffocating
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I've been dealing with this on and off for a few months but it's been alright the last couple months. It's especially got bad this week however.
JA: Is there anything else the Psychologist should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I believe I'm feeling this was because of my boyfriend. Not sure if I'm overthinking or something is actually wrong but it been difficult the last few days. We haven't been together for long but everything has been going well so far. We set healthy boundaries for eachother that we both respect and it seemed to have worked however this past week it seems like something has changed.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your age/gender and if you have any other medical conditions or allergies, or take medications?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, I'm a 19 year old male. I don't have any other medical conditions or allergies and I do not take medication

Have you seen a doctor about these issues or have you had any medicines in the past?

And what has changed recently that made you feel this way?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I haven't consulted anyone about this and I haven't had any medication in the past
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
my boyfriend and I are semi-long distancing meaning it takes around an hour or two when we want to see eachother so we usually only see eachother during the weekend. His love language is very much physical touch and he's a lot better at communicating in person and we've discussed this and he's usually much more reserved over text which I understand. However since our last meet, which went really well overall we spent the whole weekend together and we had a lot of fun, he's been less and less enthusiastic to talk to me in a way. Normally he shares what he's up to during the day randomly, send me funny videos but all that has stopped
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'd want to talk to him about this, but because he's been kind of distant I'm reluctant to do so

There are various causes of anxiety and some of these causes include thyroid disease, hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, past trauma, excessive stress or worries, past or present mental health issues, etc. So, ideally your GP should assess you for these. In your case, it could just be relationship issues.

I suggest that you speak to your boyfriend to express your feelings and concerns to try to improve your relationship and communication.

You can also consider couples therapy which can really help.

In the meantime, you can try over the counter promethazine or Benadryl which work for anxiety and panic attacks.

I suggest you visit mind.org.uk which is a good website for anxiety issues.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Alright, I'll try to talk to him when it feels right and potentially look into taking medication to help me in the meantime and inform my GP. Thank you for your advice

That's fine. You should speak to him first as this can really help improve your relationship and you can tell him your concerns.

Wishing you all the best!