Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

the tailgate glass on my 2013 ml250 shattered

the tailgate glass on my 2013 ml250 shattered for no apparent reason when parked on my friends drive. I had taken luggage out the night before and there were no stone chippings or cracks. How has this occurred?

I had the car serviced 2 days before and nothing came up. Mercedes are ststing "external influence" but I am disputing this, as there was no chip or crack when I removed luggage out of the boot the evening before. The glass completely shattered and then bowed out and fell to the florr, starting from the sides

Hello and Welcome ..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you...

Im sorry to hear of your situation -

I have to say that on this issue, you may never really know what happened - not least because when the glass shatters on these cars, you just cannot see any mark where something may have hit it - whatever it may have been.

It can only take a very small "object" to hit the glass to shatter it - it can have been from a vehicle - s small stone shot out from a tyre ( as they do ) -and highly unfortunately, hit your screen / glass... and it will break it.

Too - if someone were to maliciously do it , they only have to know just where to hit it - and it will shatter.

I have actually taken the time to check MB TSB's etc for any known instances of this happening on their models for whatever reason - ie, vehicle caused - and there are just no records of any such happenings..

So while I cannot give you a definitive answer - ie -to say it will be this or that - I would have to say / and agree with your dealer - that this has to have been caused by some object , deliberate or no, hitting the glass Im afraid...

I feel for you - not nice at all espeically on that year of vehicle.. If it helps any, this should be covered on your insurance policy --

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

*** >> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thanks Mike

Thank You - you are very welcome..

Im sorry I couldn't be more specifc..

You are welcome back anytime -

All the very best -- MIKE.