How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MB Paul Your Own Question
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Category: Mercedes
Satisfied Customers: 4317
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
Type Your Mercedes Question Here...
MB Paul is online now

SLK Torque converter. 1) does it have a drain plug on 2001/2002

This answer was rated:

SLK Torque converter.
1) does it have a drain plug on 2001/2002 model?
2) are the TC's prone to hairline cracks?
if so is it dangerous to run the car with only an occasional drop of oil leaking

Mercedes has changed over the years with some TC's having drain plugs & some not. On your model year I would say it is unlikely that a drain plug is fitted but the only way to be sure is to rotate the TC to visually inspect.

It would be very unusual for one to crack - if transmission fluid is leaking in this area then it is almost certainly coming from the front seal in the transmission which would need the transmission removing to replace.

A very slight leak would not cause any real problems in the short term but would recommend having it repaired before it gets any worse.

Best regards, Paul
MB Paul and other Mercedes Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for the info. well received.

other points I forgot to ask.

as long as there is no further charge!!??

1) is there a dipstick on the TC, and

2) is the TC oil and the GBox oil the same?

3)is it easy to top it up?


John Orrell

Hi John,

The oil level for the gearbox & TC is checked as one - there is a dipstick tube with a blanking cap for the transmission however you do need a workshop dipstick as there is no dipstick installed in the car.

You can get these from ebay: Dipstick on ebay

The oil is topped up through this dipstick tube.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Paul

Thanks again.


Hi John,

No problem at all.

Let me know if you ever need anything else.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Paul,


I'm sorry. I must have pressed the wrong button.

i am satisfied with the answers you gave.

hope this corrects the situation



john OrrellOrrell