Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I'm in the process of replacing the water pump on my C36

I'm in the process of replacing the water pump on my C36 AMG. Being a straight 6 I'm concerned that when I refill it with fresh coolant I may trap air in the cylinder block/ head. Is there a bleed screw somewhere? Is there a trick?
Any advice appreciated! Thanks, Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please keep trying!
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

sorry about the wait

On some of the early versions of this engine there's a bleed screw in the thermostat housing but on most its a case of checking that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years