Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Dear Mercedes Technical Specialist, I have a Mercedes C180

Dear Mercedes Technical Specialist,I have a Mercedes C180 purchased in 2000 (18 years old).The electronic key isn’t being recognised by the vehicle as the doors aren’t locking and it’s not starting the engine as the key won’t turn in the ignition switch.My understanding is that it would be 3 things:-
• Key chip faulty
• Electronic ignition switch faulty
• Steering lock module faultyPlease advise the Mercedes costs for:1. Diagnostic test
2. Parts and Labour costs separately if each of the 3 items had to be replaced.Thanks & Regards,
Amaani

Hi Amaani, my name is***** problem won't be the steering lock if the key will not open the doors with the remote. The problem will either be the key or the ignition switch. The diagnostic test is a 1 hour labor charge. A new key is approximately $300. A new ignition switch is approximately $1000 installed. A steering lock is approximately $600 installed but is not likely to be the problem.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Marty,
I wondered how much the parts would cost in the UK and labour charges.Presumably the key will need to be reprogrammed with the new ignition switch.Thanks,
Amaani

The key does not require programming but the switch does. The pricing should be about the same in the UK when converted from US dollars.