Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

A Mercedes R320 CDI 2007 Have been having a few problems

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** a Mercedes R320 CDI 2007
Have been having a few problems with car and just dont know what to do now
1 December 2107- First leak was identified and took it to mechanic who replaced turbo charge seals were leaking) and said that was working fine
2 January 2018 - Car not starting took it back to the mechanic who said that needed a full major service and change glow plugs and this would start car immediately. Replaced all filters but as soon as I got car back still experiencing same problem
3 Mechanic referred me to Mercedes dealer. They replaced my glow plug relay/module and did some further work. When I got car back it was starting on the 3/4 try but it was starting.
I understand that the glow plugs need to warm up that is fine.4 My current problem is my battery is dead due to the cold weather so would it be a wise idea to change the battery because all the previous times I had car issues the battery would drain/die? The battery for this car has never been changed and it is a 2007 plate.
Called AA 5 times now and as soon as they attach the booster the car starts.
I am really just frustrated and would like someone to just help me out right now please!!
Desperate Mum!!!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi Gina, my name is***** the car is starting when the booster is connected you first need to replace the battery. The problem may be as simple as a defective battery.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If it is this simple why do I have mechanics diagnosising other problems. If I run or drive the car does this process fully charge my battery
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Running and driving the car will charge a good battery but if the battery is bad it will not charge up properly. Everything starts with the battery. First you should have the battery charged and tested and replaced if needed. Next you should have the charging system tested to be sure that the alternator is working properly. The alternator is what charges the battery. Next you should have the electrical system tested for a parasitic drain. The test will determine if anything in the car is draining the battery while the car is off.