Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I've got a R129 SL in my workshop at the moment that I've

Customer Question

I've got a R129 SL in my workshop at the moment that I've done some paintwork on. It doesn't belong to me, its a customers car.
The battery went flat, so I put my charger on it for a few minutes then switched it to boost to get the car started. While it was boosting the roll bar shot up. It started fine and ran for long enough for me to put it in a bay out of the way. Now the work is complete, I've charged the battery but it won't start. I thought it had no fuel in it as the gauge said it was empty so I put some fuel in it but it still won't start.
It turns over fine.
Has it got something to do with the roll bar coming up?
Many thanks.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Greg replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 months ago.

Hi .

Do you have a scan tool to check for malfunction codes .

Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 months ago.

You need one and a good dealer level as its looks like you triggered the roll over sensor and all systems will be shut down

as it thinks it on its roof .

possible inertia switch .

No info for this i will opt out and see if another expert can assist .

Rgds Greg

Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** there is nothing on the R129 related to the roll bar deployment that will keep the car from starting. You need to check your basics, spark and fuel, and see what's missing.

Let me know if you need further assistance.