Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2000 S500 ( W220 ) Merc saloon. I have a viberation

Customer Question

I have a 2000 S500 ( W220 ) Merc saloon. I have a viberation at 40-55mph. I have had the tyres balanced,Drive shaft nuts checked and a new bearing in the propsharft it is better but I still get vibration
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master Benz Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Have you checked to make sure that the rims are not bent? note more than .100" variance will cause a vibration .

please keep me in the loop

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To think that I paid good money for such a one line answer is appalling and a rip off. Would you not consider that I have had the tryes balanced, had the nuts( Bolts) checked on the drive shafts and paid £200 to have a new bearing fitted on the propshaft, that I might know a little about what I am doing. I have owned 8 Mercs in my 60yrs of driving, and have never had someone insult my intelligence like you have. I want my money back.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

You have never mentioned about the rims at all. yes they will balance while rims being bent. I'm just covering all areas here .

I have been a Benz master tech for 18 yrs .

This is the first time involved with your vehicle so bear with me in trying to get all options checked for your vibration issue .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What I'm saying is that the tyre company belongs to a friend of mine and are very professional. They checked the tracking also.I called him after I got your answer and he said they checked the rims as a matter of course.They also checked all the tyres for abnormal wear, and found none.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

is the vibration more evident on acceleration than coast?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When the new bearing was put on the prop-shaft it was the whole assembly not just the bearing itself.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Is this a 4matic ?

Has the halfshafts axles been checked axially for play?

if the there is wear and slop in the joints of the axles it will cause a vibration more while accelerating because of the play in the joints. please do check that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its a W220 year 2000. The Drive shaft nuts were checked both sides. When they checked the tracking at the front they also checked the Alignedment.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

not the drive shaft but the axle shafts (cv joints)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Drive shaft to me is the two shafts that are either side of the back axle. Whats the time where you are ?? its 21-45 here in the UK. I will call you.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

right now 12:37 pm EST USA

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its been sorted out. It was the bearing at the back of the gearbox. All viberation gone.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

great to hear!!! have a safe one!!