Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a CLK 240, 04 plate. It came up with a Crank Position

Hi, I have a CLK 240, 04 plate. It came up with a Crank Position error (P0335). I replaced it with a genuine MB part and have managed to clear the fault code but the car will not start. It turns over no problem. The battery is new. It is not showing any other fault codes.Any help would be most appreciated.ThanksNeil

Hi Neil, my name is***** you getting spark to the spark plugs? Will it run on starting spray?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marty,
Bugger, haven't checked that yet. Although I have checked at the Schroeder valve and there is fuel (at pressure) there. Funnily enough after a couple of toys at starting, I tried smelling at the exhaust and could not smell and petrol. (maybe a red herring.
Will try to see if I can get a spark.
Neil

Ok, if you have no spark I would remove the crank sensor and inspect the installation. Make sure that it is fully seated in the housing. If it wasn't all the way home it would not be able to read the teeth of the flywheel. I have also had some faulty crank sensor connectors. Carefully inspect the connector when you remove the sensor.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will give it a go. I will let you know about the spark in a bit. If I have to remove the CPS it will be a while. (last time it took 2 days to get it off! Actually some of that was spent cursing Mercedes for putting a sensor in such an impossible to reach position!!! Had to remove air sensor housing, fuel pipe and various covers just to get my hand down there :(

It's definitely hard to access! I'm thinking that maybe the connector got damaged when you replaced the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cant't believe that I had the correct size spark plug socket! However there is no spark!
I think you should recheck your sensor installation and the connector.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hate it when you say that! :(If I don't get back to you today, will it still be you I contact?
I am usually not far away.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marty,i have got everything removed and disconnected apart from the sensor itself. I am going to call it quits for tonight as I've got a bad back and i've got to go to hospital for some checks on my heart tomorrow (supposed to avoid stress! lol)
The plug that goes into the CPS looks like a catch is missing or broken off. I have a photo on my phone and will send it when I can transfer it to my laptop.

Do you think that the connector was plugged in all the way? You can put an ohmmeter across the sensor terminals to be sure it has resistance. It will probably read between 600 - 1200 ohms.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marty,
Sorry for taking a while to get back, I was in hospital most of yesterday and not feeling too good today.
I managed to check out the original CPS and it is 1080 Ohms.
I still haven't removed the new one. Hopefully later today or tomorrow morning.
I plugged the old sensor into the plug and it seems very secure.

Hope you get feeling better. We will need to get everything reinstalled and do some other checks. If you have no spark we will need to check to see if we are getting power to the coils.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marty, finally got a look at it again, all be it late in the day. Using the old sensor plugged in (but not in position), I tried the ignition a couple of times, still turned but no ignition and no spark. There was a smell of petrol from the port where the spark plug had been removed.
I unplugged the sensor and tried to put the plug into the new sensor (which is in position). However I noticed that there was some yellow showing from the plug that I couldn't see before. So after loads of attempts, I managed to push the plug all the way in. Put the spark plug in and gave it a try!
Bloody hell it fired up :) Tomorrow I will put it all back together again, and give it a well deserved run!
So it looks like the whole problem was down to the Crank Position Sensor plug was not all the way in!!!
It felt as though it was in. However I have no body to blame but myself.
Looks like if the CPS is faulty or not plugged in prevents any spark!
Anyway thanks for your help. If I have any other problems I hope I can call on you again.
Cheers
Neil
Hi Neil, that’s great news! Glad you got it sorted out.