Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Benz car 260SE W126 automatic gear box failing to engage

Customer Question

benz car 260SE W126 automatic gear box failing to engage after a short run, heats up, stalls. I also notice the gear box oil spills over. I have had another gear box fitted but the same problem has continued. Now I don't know whether the mechanics are competent to fix this problem. Please advise.I am even thinking of shipping it to Johannesburg for repair.Thank you.
Jane Chisanga
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, it's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer. Sorry for any delay.

Have the gasket and seals between the gearbox and engine been checked?

Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Good day,
I am told they didnt, will check tomorrow as advised. However if they condition of the gasket and seals are are good working condition, what could be the next possible solution. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
your answer cost me Stg.33, really, when I gave the mechanics your response, they actually laughed and at the same time upset with me. I was told there is no way a skilled mechanic can touch the gear box without checking condition of the gasket and seal, that is mandatory. In short your response was not sufficient to cover the money I paid. The correct procedure should have been a step by step answer instead of you asking me a question. eg
1. check condition of gasket and seal
2.
3.
etc.