sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

We have a 1977 350SL. It is great cold starting, but is very

Customer Question

We have a 1977 350SL. It is great cold starting, but is very poor when warm. We have to wait for the engine to cool down. We live in Lytham Lancs.
Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Battery is fine. It turns over OK. It just won't start.
Assistant: What is the model of your '77 Mercedes?
Customer: 350sl
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: automatic
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: evrything else is OK
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, it's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer. Sorry for any delay.

Dear customer, What have you tried so far?

The car when is cold turns on and works properly. Doesn't it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the car starts perfectly when cold. When warm the engine is turned over OK so the battery is fine, but it will not fire up.

Dear customer, i am sorry for my long delay.
I would like to know a little more information about your car. would you please tell me:
a) the mileage of your car
b) what fuel does your car use
c) what have you tried so far?

Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Likewise. I do not always see my computer!
Mileage is 111667. Fuel is petrol. So far nothing has been tried that we know off.

Dear customer, my apologies I have some personal issues that I had to solve.
Your SL model was one of the first in using fuel injection and electric fuel pump. This type of problem is related to these two factors because once the operating temperature is exceeded, to return to its initial state, you should wait a time lapse for it to cool.These failures are common with the course of time, it is not necessarily a defective piece but it could be dirt due to a lack of maintenance so I recommend you to start by the maintenance, replacing the fuel filters and then you can continue replacing the fuel pump. On the other hand, not only can it be due to a fuel problem, your vehicle has certain sensors in the engine time distribution, these sensors communicate with the time pulleys, these sensors work in conjunction with the motor coils, when these heat up, they cause the ignition to hinder because the coil doesn’t gets the right signal so it should cool down to ignite. In addition, there is another aspect that we must verify, the ignition coil system can also cause this ignition problem, as these generate sparks by the means of the resistance, when the resistance is overheated they cannot work correctly so it should be expected for it to cool down for them to go back to work. I also want to tell you that the engine start as well as the starter unit can suffer this type of defects.As you can observe there are several aspects that we should review. I hope your query has been cleared.
Have you understood me dear customer?

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 2 months ago.

Hello dear customer, i hope you are ok.
Did you solve your problem?
Is there anything else i could help you?
I also would like to remind you to rate my service by selecting from the 3,4 5 stars at the top of the screen because in that way you help me grow in the platform.
Thank you very much.
​Regards, Sebastian